This is Day 3 in the 30 Day Blog Challenge hosted by Mind Jo Business. Today’s topic is my top 5 pet peeves.
Definition: “A pet peeve is a minor annoyance that an individual identifies as particularly annoying to himself, to a greater degree than others may find. Its first usage was around 1919. The term is a back-formation from the 14th-century word peevish, meaning “ornery or ill-tempered”.”
Oh, where to begin? I can’t say these are my top 5, as I haven’t prioritized them and am probably forgetting several.
I was literally just talking about one particular pet peeve to Texas the other day: food products. More below.
So, in no particular order:
- Food products. These are not real food! I’m talking Velveeta and Pancake Syrup, among many others but these are the two in particular I mentioned to Texas. Velveeta is not real cheese but a combination of food and food-like ingredients… including corn syrup. WTF?! Pancake Syrup is imitating 100% real maple syrup. It really burns me up that well-known chain pancake restaurants, such as IHOP, use the artificial stuff instead of real maple syrup. This is what is wrong with this country.
- People who text and drive. Not only is it illegal here in California for obvious reasons (i.e. stupidly dangerous), it is obvious when someone is doing it because they’re swerving and/or driving ridiculously slow. Put the phone down and pay attention to where you are maneuvering your 4,000 lb car so you don’t hit other cars, bicyclists, or pedestrians.
- People who litter. This one blows my mind. Is this an entitlement thing? “Oh, someone else will just pick it up….”? Or maybe they don’t think at all. Also, I thought the habit of throwing cigarette butts out of car windows died in the 1970s but, honest to god, I saw someone in the car ahead of me on the freeway yesterday flick their cigarette butt out of the window. I hadn’t seen that happen in at least a decade. Unbelievable!
- Smoke. Smoke is a pet peeve of mine. Not necessarily people who smoke… just smoke in and of itself. Yes, from cigarettes. Not only am I allergic to it but I am also asthmatic. It literally hurts me. Again, thank goodness I live in California because there are significant restrictions on where people can smoke in public. I actually don’t know how anyone can smoke in public in San Francisco since there are also restrictions on how close you can smoke to the entrance of a public building; you don’t see it often anyway.
- People who move slowly. Alright, so this one might make me a bitch and I acknowledge that. I had second thoughts about mentioning it here because it sounds so petty. But, yes, I get really annoyed when I’m trying to get somewhere quickly – and I’m always trying to get somewhere quickly – and have to maneuver around people who are meandering around slowly. Crowded places drive me nuts for this reason alone. All the chaotic slowness – ack! It makes me tense.