, , , ,

I am back! My trip to Idaho, Wyoming, and Montana was both wonderful and challenging.

The highlights:

  • I got to spend some time with my grandma and several aunts, uncles, and cousins.
  • Hiking in Grand Teton National Park.
  • 4th of July in Jackson Hole, WY.
  • 2 days in Yellowstone National Park, spent mainly at Old Faithful and Canyon.
  • Enjoying a gorgeous light show during the thunderstorm our night in Canyon Lodge.
  • Seeing a baby bison and its mama running fast down a hillside, then seeing the baby take a tumble and literally roll down the hill before regaining its footing.

Some of the Tetons, Grand Teton National Park


A bison lounging in Hayden Valley, Yellowstone National Park

The challenges:

  • The drive there and back. OMG, it was brutal. It takes 15 hours each way not including bathroom breaks, meals, and stops for gas. And there were 5 of us in my Prius, which made for a very cozy ride.
  • Half of us were sick with a tummy bug: me, my son, my sister, and my sister’s infant son. My son had it the worst. I purchased Pepto Bismol for him one day before hiking in the Tetons, which worked magically. Thank god! I wasn’t sure what to do otherwise: let him rest in the car alone – in the heat – for 3 hours? Make him endure the pain on the hike? I’m so thankful the Jenny Lake General Store sold Pepto Bismol, and that it worked. Tummy pain woke me up in the middle of the night on 2 separate nights; one of which I resorted to taking some of my son’s Pepto Bismol.
  • My mom, who stayed in Idaho to visit family while the rest of us visited the parks, got sick with a bad cold and was miserable on the drive back.
  • A pretty massive spat with Mars on the 4th of July.
  • On the drive back, we noticed my windshield has a large crack. WTH?! Now I need to fork over another $200 (my deductible) to get it fixed. I just did this in April!
  • No internet connection or phone service most of the time. My son was not happy – haha.

Today is my first day back at work. It feels so good to be back and unpacked. I did all the laundry yesterday, went to the grocery store to restock the kitchen, and gave myself a manicure and pedicure.

The night before I left, Hayden and I went back to the De Young museum for a repeat (the first time, with my kids, was a failure). We were able to see most of the museum and had a great time.

We both were in awe of this painting, below. The use of color and light was incredible. This photo doesn’t do it justice. It was so stunning that it spurred conversation with several bystanders as we each pointed out various features that impressed us.


On the way home, Hayden and I picked up a bottle of wine and fixings for a late dinner at the grocery store. I had to be up very early the next morning for my trip. I told him he could stay in my bed and lounge after I left and he agreed.

The next morning, he walked me to the door and kissed me goodbye.

I returned a week later, this past Saturday night. Late. Hayden insisted on coming over that night to see me. I was touched.

We had originally agreed to see each other Sunday/yesterday but Hayden said, in a text, “Why wait? I don’t mind if it’s late.” Aww.

I got home at 9:15 pm on Saturday night. Hayden arrived at 9:45.

My daughter was already in bed. My son was still up, but I told him to put himself to bed at 11. Hayden and I retreated to my bedroom. We had tender, electric, and passionate sex over and over again.

He said things like “I’m so glad you’ve come back” and “I missed you”, and even “I love you so much”. It was an emotional homecoming.

We had sex 6 times in 12 hours. We couldn’t get enough of each other. That next morning, all 4 of us went out to breakfast together. When we came back to the house, we watched the episode of The Bachelorette that Hayden had missed 2 weeks ago.

He left to go home after that… but will return tonight. Yay!